Skip to Navigation Skip to main Content
Register for shared ownership
Property Search

Property Search

(eg. SE13, Lewisham, Clapham)

Map search


Site search

UpToYou £12-25k

Do you earn between £12k and £25k?

L&Q has extended its successful UpToYou rent to purchase product to households earning between £12k and £25k. With UpToYou you can rent your new home at a substantial market discount before purchasing a share through shared owndership after 5 years.

You can rent before you buy which allows you to move in and pay a subsidised rent while you save. After 5 years you can become an owner. At this stage you can buy a share of your home, continue renting the rest and receive up to £5,000 from L&Q to help towards your purchase deposit.

There are currently no homes available under this scheme.


What does subsidised rent mean?

Your rent is calculated to be 65% of the rental value of similar homes in your area. This calculation will include your monthly service charge.

Do I have to buy a share of my home?

Yes, however you can rent now at a subsidised rent and purchase a share of your home or another L&Q home after 5 years.

Does it matter how much I earn?

You will need a household income between £12,000 and £25,000 p.a. when you move in. The minimum required income will vary depending on the development.

If I want to buy part of my home, how will I finance it?

Youll need to get a mortgage from one of the high street lenders. Well arrange for you to get expert advice from an independent financial adviser.

Please note that L&Q is legally bound to comply with UK money laundering legislation. We may therefore conduct verification checks including an electronic check to confirm a customers identity prior to purchase.

Will there be any incentives to help me purchase?

As long as you pay your rent on time, do not breach your tenancy and keep your property in a good condition L&Q will give you two financial incentives;

  1. We will give you the equivalent of 5% of your rent back after 5 years
  2. We will give you up to £2,500 after 5 years.

What if I want to buy more of my home?

This is called staircasing. This is when you gradually increase the share of your home that you own. You can do this whenever you choose and up to 100%. What if I rent a home and then want to move out?

After the first six months you can move out whenever you choose with four weeks notice ending on a Monday.

What if I own part of my home and want to move out?

You can sell either the part of your home you own and the new owner will rent the remainder from us or sell it as a whole.

Can I sublet my home?

No. These homes are not available for buy to let and it will be a condition of the tenancy agreement that you are not allowed to sublet. These homes are designed to help people in housing need to get on the property ladder.