South Kilburn Regeneration Project
- The London Borough of Brent is currently undertaking the comprehensive regeneration of the South Kilburn estate which involves the creation/refurbishment of c.2000 homes.
- The Masterplan proposals are largely residential-led, but also include the potential consolidation of schools, the redevelopment of a doctors surgery, the creation of a new sports hall and play area for community use, a community centre and some retail, restaurants and cafes within the designated area.
- The majority of existing residents live in high rise, poor quality housing, but the area has great potential. It is surrounded by some popular residential neighbourhoods including Maida Vale and Queens Park. Pleasant Victorian terraces, green open spaces, two tube stations and a wide range of community facilities can all be found locally.
- L&Q have been awarded the contract to build out two of the early phase sites of the Masterplan now known as Watling Place and Bourne Place (marketing names).
- These sites will be used to decant existing residents and facilitate the regeneration of further phases.
- L&Q were selected via a rigorous competitive process run by the Local Authority, based on quality and price.
The two developments will provide more than 200 new apartments across a mixture of tenures - Affordable rent, Shared Ownership and Outright Sales.
Completion dates are currently estimated for:
- Watling Place, Summer 2012
- Bourne Place, Summer 2013
Resident and community involvement
The London Borough of Brent obtained planning permission for these sites. A number of consultation events were held in the local area prior to planning approval during which residents could drop in and assess the proposed designs.
- Wherever possible, residents are given a choice of internal fixtures and fittings. This helps facilitate a sense of ownership of their new home.
- Regular updates on construction progress are given at the Resident Steering Group.
- L&Q are actively involved in the various South Kilburn Neighbourhood Trust (SKNT) working groups, focusing on topics such as Employment & Skills, neighbourhood co-ordination and community initiatives.
- L&Q are currently running a number of community investment activities on the estate for local people including ESOL classes and Women in Governance training.
As part of the redevelopment, L&Q have been working with transport consultants JMP, in order to develop a Residential Travel Plan for the South Kilburn sites.
A Residential Travel Plan is a package of measures designed to reduce the number and length of car trips generated by a residential development, whilst also supporting more sustainable forms of travel such as walking, cycling, bus, underground, rail and car sharing.
The following web pages have been provided for you to browse through and find out about travelling to and around South Kilburn. The aim is to provide you with clear, up-to-date information on what facilities are local to you and how you can access them conveniently.