We aim to create places where people want to live. These are places where people show respect and consideration for each other and behave in a way that is acceptable to all.

To achieve this we will:

  • Take leadership and accountability in dealing with antisocial behaviour, with a commitment to improve by regularly reviewing our services
  • Make residents aware of their rights and responsibilities in their tenancy (eg through the tenancy sign-up and regular tenancy review visits)
  • Work to prevent antisocial behaviour by using such tools as starter tenancies, probationary periods and good neighbour agreements
  • Intervene early to prevent the antisocial behaviour escalating
  • Protect communities through swift enforcement
  • Support victims and witnesses
  • Work in partnership with other agencies to tackle antisocial behaviour

What is and is not antisocial behaviour?

Antisocial behaviour can be difficult to define. To help, we have put together this page listing some of the main issues we would consider antisocial, or not consider to be antisocial.

What residents can do to resolve problems?

If you're having problems with your neighbour, you should talk to them first and try to resolve the matter if it's safe and you feel comfortable doing so. This is often the best way to sort out issues and can stop things getting worse. Your neighbour may not realise they are causing you problems, and may be happy to change their behaviour.

How do I report an incident of antisocial behaviour?

If the incident involves a crime you should report it to the police and make a note of the crime reference number. In an emergency you should dial 999, for non-emergencies dial 101.

You can also contact your local council to report noise nuisance. You can report antisocial behaviour to us contacting L&Q Direct.

What happens when I report antisocial behaviour?

When you report antisocial behaviour we'll ask you questions about what, when and where it happened and by who. We'll use this information to decide how quickly we carry out an assessment and whether the matter is personal, environmental or nuisance antisocial.

If the incident involves violence, threats of violence or hate crime we will give it a priority 1 status and carry out an assessment within one working day. All other incidents will be given a priority 2 status and we'll carry out an assessment within three working days.

What is an assessment?

It is a way of gathering more detailed information about what happened, how it affected you (and other members of your household) and what should be done about it. At the end of the assessment you will be asked to agree an action plan. This is a written document that summarises the action we will take and how you will be supported.

What support will I receive?

If you are having difficulty coping or need extra support we will put you in touch with services that can help. These may include victim or witness support, counselling, mediation, legal advice services, social services, health services or housing.

We can also help you access support if you have been the victim of a specific type of incident such as domestic abuse or a hate crime.

Will you contact the people responsible?

We will talk to the people you think are responsible and ask them to explain their behaviour. If you don't want them to know you made the complaint we will tell them you want to remain anonymous. But, if we do this it may limit the action we can take.

Will you contact anyone else?

If you tell us about other people who witnessed the incident we will contact them to find out more about what happened. We will also contact other organisations that may have information relevant to the case.

What will you do about the antisocial behaviour?

This depends on the type of antisocial behaviour and how serious it is. If the incident is less serious we may:

  • Send out warning letters to remind residents of their responsibilities and the consequences if it happens again
  • Use mediation to resolve disputes
  • Ask the other party to sign an acceptable behaviour contract or a parenting contract so they know what is expected of them in the future

If the incident is more serious we may consider taking legal action such as:

  • Apply for an Injunction or an antisocial behaviour order
  • If the other party is an L&Q resident we may take legal action to enforce the terms of their tenancy or lease agreement
Please remember that some incidents of antisocial behaviour are extremely difficult to prove and it may not always possible to achieve a positive outcome. For this reason, it is important that you report all incidents to us and tell us about any other people who may have seen or heard what happened.

How will I know what's happening?

You will be contacted regularly and kept informed about progress. This is so you know exactly what is happening with your case.

When will my case be closed?

Your case will be closed when the action plan is complete and or if no further action is needed or is possible.

Will you tell me before you close the case?

Yes. You will be contacted before we close the case to give you a summary of the investigation. This will tell you about the conclusions we have reached and the reasons why we are closing the case.